Introduction to Natural Dyeing
Sunday 19 June 2022, 10:00am
Triangle Community Garden, Hitchin
- Learn how natural dyes have been used in the past
- Get up close to native and non-native plants which produce colourfast dyes growing in a compact and well-established working dye garden
- Pick and prepare woad leaves for indigo dye extraction
- Understand the steps involved in extracting indigo from woad and converted into a dye vat
- Prepare materials for indigo dyeing (folding, binding, clamping, stitching)
- Learn how to dip fabric and other natural items in an indigo bath, to build up layers of colour.
Hot drinks and cake will be available – please bring a packed lunch.
The workshop is held mostly outside, with the cover of an outdoor classroom area in case of rain. Basic kitchen facilities and toilets are available for use. Please bring an apron and washing up gloves and wear old clothes. Dress for the British summertime weather – sunhat, suncream and rain jacket!
£75 per person. Suitable for adults and older children.
We will refund you in full if the event has to be cancelled by us. If you discover that you are unable to come please contact us as soon as possible as it may be possible to offer your place to someone else, in which case we will refund your fee less a £5 admin fee. No refunds within 7 days of the event.
Proceeds from this event will go towards supporting the work of Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust.
Triangle Community Garden, HitchinContact the organiser